The theater was named after the famous Italian actress Tina di Lorenzo, who was raised in Noto and became a star on stage and in silent films during the first decades of the 20th century. The theater is also known as the Teatro Vittorio Emanuele III, and is defined by some people as the Scala di Milano in miniature due to its sumptuous interiors.
At the beginning of the 19th century, the people of Noto, feeling the need for a theater, began to use a wing of the Ducezio Palace for such representations.
However, the solution did not satisfied the ever increasing demands of the citizens, especially after Noto was named capital of the province of Syracuse in 1837, and in 1851 the decision to build a new municipal theater was taken.
In 1855, a committee of citizens was formed to raise the funds necessary for the construction. Later, the architect Francesco Sortino was commissioned to design the new building. At his death, in 1863, the direction of the works passed to Francesco Cassone. In 1864, the city of Noto entrusted the continuation of the works to the Ruiz company from Syracuse.
The technical and mechanical part of the theater were entrusted to some citizens of Noto under the guidance of Fortunato Queriau, while the gilding of the theater was performed by the painter Santi Ferrara from Messina.
The theater was named, at first, after the future King of Italy, Vittorio Emanuele III. It was inaugurated in a solemn ceremony on the evening of December 4, 1870.
Since 1980, the theater was also used for conferences, meetings and conventions. In 1990, the building was closed for renovation, and was reopened in 1997.
HOW TO GET THERE
The theater is located about 1.4 kilometers away from the Noto train station. To find the theater on foot, use the map below.