The Church of Santissimo Salvatore (Most Holy Saviour) is a church in Noto, located between the Cathedral of San Nicolò and the Church of San Francesco d’Assisi all’Immacolata. The church is part of a larger complex, along with the Monastery of SS. Salvatore and the Episcopal Seminary.
The construction of the church began in 1767 under the supervision of the architect priest Andrea Gigante, to replace an old church dating back to the beginning of the 18th century. At his death, with the church unfinished, the initial project was partially modified by D. Antonio Mazza, and the church was completed and consecrated in 1802.
ART AND ARCHITECTURE
The decorative cycle of the interior is one of the most significant examples of the Sicilian cultural transition phase between the late Baroque and Neoclassicism. Began in 1794 and completed two years later, the interior is the result of the pictorial interventions of Ermenegildo Martorana from Palermo and those in stucco of Giovanni Gianforma.
Among the frescoes, we can find the Pentecost, Saint Paul on the Road to Damascus and the Appearance of Three Mysterious Men to Abraham.
The paintings found on the side altars are also of particular artistic importance. On the right, there is the Adoration of the Magi by Giuseppe Patania and the Crucifixion by Giuseppe Velasco. On the left, we can find the Saints Mauro and Placido before Saint Benedict and La Madonna del Rosario, signed both by Giuseppe Velasco.
The interior is completed by an artistic pipe organ from the 18th century, a silver urn containing the relics of Saint Restituto, transferred from Rome in 1662, and on an altar a valuable wooden sculpture of the Madonna and Child.
HOW TO GET THERE
The Church of Santissimo Salvatore is located about 1.2 kilometers away from the Noto railway station. To easily find the church on foot, use the map below.
Find a place to stay