The palace was built at the end of the 12th century on the ruins of the ancient stalls of the Roman Theater by the Maggi family, a noble family from Brescia.
In the 17th century, the property passed to the Gambara family. The new owners renovated the palace, and built a new body frescoed with portraits of ancient Romans and trophies of arms. Around the same time, the internal staircase decorated with frescoes and gold stuccos was also built.
Starting with 1935, the palace underwent a series of interventions following the investigations carried out on the archaeological Roman site.
The palace became the headquarters of the Carabinieri and traffic police barracks until 1956, when it was definitively closed because it was considered unsafe.
In the 20th century, the theater was brought to light by demolishing some structures that surrounded it, but the palace which occupies the western part of the auditorium was left intact, as it contained several frescoes of great historical and artistic value.
After the restorations completed in 2014, the palace and the Roman Theater were reopened to the public.
HOW TO GET THERE
Palazzo Maggi-Gambara is located about 1.8 kilometers from the Brescia railway station. The closest bus stop is located about 300 meters away, in Piazza Martiri di Belfiore, on the bus Lines 2, 6, 10, 11, 17 and 18.