Part of the historical center of Brescia, it is known as Piazza del Duomo due to the presence of the two cathedrals of the city, and it was named after Pope Paul VI after his death.
The square appeared in medieval times, through the construction of the buildings that surround it. One of the buildings of that era is Palazzo Broletto, which today also includes the Civic Tower (Torre del Pegol) and the Loggia delle Grida, located on the northeast side of the square, dating back to the 13th century.
Palazzo Broletto is considered the oldest public building in Brescia, and today it houses the Prefecture, the Provincial Administration and some municipal offices.
On the eastern part of the square, we can also find the New Cathedral of Brescia, built between 1604 and 1825, in various architectural styles ranging from the late Baroque to the Rococo.
The next structure is the Old Cathedral of the city, known also as La Rotonda, an example of Romanesque architecture from the 11th century.
On the southern area of the square, we can find the building of the Credito Agrario Bresciano (now, UBI Banca), dating back to the early 20th century, the work of the Brescian architect Antonio Tagliaferri.
Opposite the New Cathedral, there is a Neoclassical building dating back to 1809, and the Casa dei Camerlenghi (House of the Camerlenghi), so called because it was the seat of the camerlenghi, financial administrators during the Venetian domination.
Under the House of the Camerlenghi, there is a passage of medieval origin, known as Galleria Duomo, which connects the square with the arcades of Via X Giornate, built on a project by Piero Maria Bagnadore, along the old city walls.
HOW TO GET THERE
Piazza Paolo VI is located about 1.1 kilometer from the Brescia railway station. The closest bus stop is in Piazza Martiri di Belfiore, on the bus Lines 2, 6, 10, 11, 17 and 18.