The church was completed in 1265, but it was not frescoed until the early 14th century. In the 15th century, the church was enriched with 5 altars, two of which painted by Moretto (Alessandro Bonvicino) and Romanino (Girolamo Romani), great masters of the early Renaissance in Brescia.
In the 16th century, in the left nave of the church, the Chapel of the Immaculate was built in Renaissance style.
With the advent of the French in 1797, the church and the adjoining convent underwent a phase of decadence in which archives were destroyed and many rooms were ruined. Only in 1839, thanks to the architect Rodolfo Vantini, the church was the subject of modernization work, taking on some Neoclassical elements.
In 1928, the Friars Minor returned to live in both the convent and the church, and thanks to various restorations, they were able to recover a part of the ancient artistic heritage.
ART AND ARCHITECTURE
The facade of the church, in Romanesque-Gothic style, restored in 1839 by Rodolfo Vantini, is divided into three parts. The central section is characterized by the large portal, above which there is a majestic rose window, in white stone and glass.
The interior of the church is divided into three naves by twelve stone columns. In the left aisle, there are seven chapels, of which the most famous and important are certainly those dedicated to the Immaculate and the Holy Trinity, both containing frescoes by Giovan Francesco Gaggini.
In the right aisle, there are seven altars, among which the most notable are the first, dedicated to Saint Jerome, by Gasparo Cairano, and the fourth, which has frescoes by Romanino.
The long central nave leads to the main altar, in Gothic style, enriched by a large altarpiece by Romanino.
HOW TO GET THERE
The Church of San Francesco d’Assisi is located about 800 meters from the Brescia railway station. Vittoria Metro station is located about 350 meters away. The closest bus stop is in Via Fratelli Cairoli 2, about 150 meters away, on the bus Lines 9 and 15.