The Roncalli family settled in Bergamo in the 14th century, in a building near the Church of Sant’Andrea.
The palace was built starting with 1520 adjacent to the Visconti walls erected by the Milanese in 1300 to surround the citadel. The project was entrusted to Andrea di Giacomo Ziliolo, while Pietro Isabello and Francesco Cleri took care of the construction.
The palace underwent various modifications over time. In the 18th century, it was bought by the Sonzogno family, who modified it on a project by Ferdinando Caccia and Giovanni Francesco Lucchini.
In the apartment located on the noble floor of Palazzo Roncalli, during the night of March 13, 1797, was signed the agreement for the withdrawal of Venice from Bergamo.
The palace was renovated in the 20th century by Sandro Angelini.
The palace has an irregular polygonal plan, with three floors plus a mezzanine, with a multi-pitched roof, and an internal courtyard.
The facade overlooking Via Mascheroni is symmetrical. On the ground floor, there are six openings, two round and four rectangular. The portal is round arched, with two side columns supporting the balcony above.
The first noble floor has five openings, and there are four rectangular windows on the mezzanine. The upper floor has the same windows as the first noble floor. The facade of the building located in Via San Salvatore has the same windows, but less elaborate.
The facades are decorated with frescoes by Giovanni Cariani, dating back to the 16th century.
HOW TO GET THERE
Palazzo Roncalli is located about 2.6 kilometers away from the Bergamo railway station. The closest bus stop is Colle Aperto, located about 230 meters away, on the bus Line 1.