The palace, a beautiful example of Neoclassical architecture, was built by the architect Simone Cantoni in 1770. In 1841, the palace was bought by Count Giacomo Medolago Albani, an ancestor of the current owners.
Over time, the palace underwent many transformations, becoming one of the most important buildings of the city and home to one of the most notable historical and cultural events of the time. The visits of Emperor Franz Joseph I of Austria with his wife Elizabeth of Bavaria and the King of Italy Vittorio Emanuele II are evidenced by the commemorative stone slabs placed at the entrance to the building.
ART AND ARCHITECTURE
The palace is an admirable example of an aristocratic building of the late 18th century. The facade, on two floors, with 8 semi-columns, is surmounted by a fake balcony with a decoration in the middle and four statues depicting the Architecture, Sculpture, Painting and Poetry, works of the sculptor Antonio Gelpi.
Between the two floors, we can find five medallions of Carrara marble depicting scenes inspired by the work of Torquato Tasso. The medallions were comissioned by Count Giacomo Medolago Albani and executed by the sculptor Giovanni Maria Benzoni in 1848.
The interior of the building is composed of various rooms decorated by great artists, of which we can mention the painter Gian Paolo Cavagna. In one of the main rooms, decorated with stuccos and festoons by Atanasio Soldati, there are seven landscapes by the painter Luigi Deleidi.
We can also mention the so-called Bonomini Gallery, which preserves some valuable frescoes by the artist Paolo Vincenzo Bonomini, and the Sala Rossa (Red Hall) on whose ceiling we can find the coats of arms of the Medolago, Zanchi, Grumelli and Colleoni families.
The lobby of the main entrance is also interesting. The architecture of the entrance hall with the adjoining courtyard and the staircase is attributed to the architect Leopoldo Pollack.
On the courtyard level, there is also the family chapel. The chapel is simple, decorated with stucco and a canvas depicting the Nativity, which is located above the altar.
HOW TO GET THERE
Palazzo Medolago Albani is located about 2 kilometers away from the Bergamo railway station. The closest bus stop is in Viale delle Mura 40, a few meters away, on the bus Lines 1, 3 and 10.