The Church of San Giovanni Battista is a church located in the upper part of the historical center of Riomaggiore.
The church was built in 1340, as stated by a plaque on the facade, at the behest of the bishop of the diocese of Luni, Antonio Fieschi.
Due to a collapse of the church, an important restoration was carried out between 1870 and 1871. The extension of the complex and the reconstruction of the facade in the neo-gothic style preserved, however, the 14th-century rose window in white Carrara marble.
ART AND ARCHITECTURE
On the left side of the church, are still visible today the single-lancet windows and the two entrances in Gothic style decorated with zoomorphic and anthropomorphic elements. The interior has a basilica plan and is divided into three naves, with ogival arches.
Among the preserved works of art inside the church are a triptych in the right aisle, attributed to the master Benedetto Antelami, a painting depicting the Preaching of John the Baptist, work of the painter Domenico Fiasella, a wooden crucifix by Anton Maria Maragliano and a marble pulpit of 1663.
HOW TO GET THERE
The Church of San Giovanni Battista is located about 500 meters away from the Riomaggiore train station. The town has also a local bus that leaves from the center and can take you near the church. The closest station is Riomaggiore Chiesa.