Castello di Riomaggiore is a castle located in the upper part of the historical center of Riomaggiore. The castle, with a quadrangular structure and two stubby circular towers, was used originally for defensive purposes, and later converted into a cemetery. Today, the castle is used by the municipality as a conference hall and cultural center.
According to historical sources, the castle was built by the Turcotti Marquises in 1260, lords of the village of Ripalta, near Borghetto di Vara, on the ruins of a pre-existing fortress.
After the domination of the Count Nicolò Fieschi, a new castle, located on the hill that divides the valley of Rio Maggiore from that of Rio Finale, was finally completed by the Republic of Genoa between the 15th and 16th centuries.
During the French domination of Napoleon Bonaparte, the internal area of the fort was filled with earth and destined for the burial of the deceased locals.
At the end of the 20th century, the whole complex underwent a general recovery, being converted into a cultural center.
HOW TO GET THERE
The Castle of Riomaggiore is located about 450 meters away from the Riomaggiore railway station, or about 10 minutes on foot.