The church was built, according to historical sources, in the 12th century, on a rock in the immediate vicinity of the marina. Over the years, the structure has undergone various interventions and extensions, especially in the 16th century and in the 19th century.
In 1970, in the three niches of the facade facing the small Isola square, the statues of the saints Prospero, Fortunato and the Madonna del Boschetto were placed.
The building was consecrated in 1826 by the Archbishop of Genoa, Monsignor Luigi Lambruschini, and again, in 1847, by Monsignor Placido Maria Tadini.
ART AND ARCHITECTURE
The interior, decorated in Baroque style, consists of three naves and is entirely covered with fine stuccos in gold and polychrome marble. In the vault, frescoes of the late 19th century are preserved, made by the painters Nicolò Barabino and Francesco Semino. The high altar was made by the sculptor Andrea Casareggio, while in the sacristy we can find a painting by Luca Cambiaso.
The chapels of the right aisle are dedicated to the Madonna del Rosario, to the souls in Purgatory, to San Prospero, to the Sacred Heart of Jesus and to San Gaetano. The chapels of the left aisle are dedicated to the Crucifix, to St. John the Baptist, to San Pietro and San Fortunato, to San Giuseppe, to Sant’Erasmo, to Madonna del Boscheto and to St. Anthony of Padua.
HOW TO GET THERE
The Church of Santa Maria Assunta is 550 meters away or about 8 minutes on foot from the Camogli train station. The closest bus station is Piazza del Mercato, about 160 meters away, on the bus line 73.