The name of the street is testified by an inscription from the imperial age and by medieval sources starting from the 8th century. Its origin is probably linked to the Aemilia Scauri family.
The street begins in Piazza di San Gregorio, near the Church of San Gregorio al Celio, and ends near the Basilica of Santi Giovanni e Paolo al Celio.
The ancient appearance of the road was preserved, with some sectors flanked by houses built during Roman times, with large parts of the facades connected by medieval arches.
The current Church of San Gregorio al Celio was built on the site of an ancient oratory between 1629 and 1633, on a design by the architect Giovanni Battista Soria.
Near the Church of San Gregorio al Celio, we can see the remains of a cryptoporticus (covered corridor) belonging to a 3rd-century house.
The Basilica of Santi Giovanni e Paolo al Celio, located near the other end of the street, was erected starting with 398, but took on its current appearance in 1951, when its facade was restored.
In Piazza dei Santissimi Giovanni e Paolo, across the square from the Basilica, there is a brick building of the 3rd century, consisting of a row of tabernae (stalls in Ancient Rome) leaning against the back wall.
The entrance of the beautiful garden Villa Celimontana, and the podium of the Temple of Claudius (Tempio del Divo Claudio) also overlook the square.
The next section of the ancient road, which is now named Via di San Paolo della Croce, stretches to Via della Navicella, where we can find the Celimontana Gate (Porta Caelimontana) and the Arch of Dolabella (Arco di Dolabella).
HOW TO GET THERE
The closest Metro station is Circo Massimo, located about 550 meters away, on the Metro Line B. The closest bus stop is San Gregorio, located about 160 meters away, on the bus Lines 51, 75, 81, 85 and 87.
Find a place to stay