Piazza San Salvatore, also known as Piazza della Pupporona or Piazza della Misericordia, is a square in Lucca, located about 60 meters away from Piazza San Michele and the Church of San Michele in Foro.
The name of Piazza San Salvatore derives from the presence of the homonymous church, built in the 12th century. At least one work in the church – the architrave of the side door, was attributed to Biduino, a sculptor and architect from the Romanesque period.
The name of Piazza della Misericordia comes from Arciconfraternita della Misericordia (Archconfraternity of Mercy), which takes care of the Church of San Salvatore since 1818.
The square is also called Piazza della Pupporona in homage to the Neoclassical fountain designed by Lorenzo Nottolini and built by Luigi Camolli between 1838 and 1840. The people of Lucca call pupporona to the statue of Naiade, which dominates the fountain, for its exposed breast.
The Church of San Salvatore, located on the eastern side of the square, was built before the year 1000, and rebuilt in the 12th century. The church was renovated in the 19th century, during the Bourbon rule of the city.
On the southern side of the square, there is Palazzo Cenami, built around 1530 by Nicolao Civitali, commissioned by the Arnolfini family. In 1605, the palace was bought by Lorenzo Cenami, the only heir of the homonymous family.
At the corner with Via Calderia, stands a medieval tower called Torre Del Veglio, which first belonged to the Ronzini family, and then to the Del Veglio family.
Fontana della Pupporona, perfectly inserted in the urban and architectural context of the square, is surrounded by a protective fence, composed of marble columns joined by an iron railing.
HOW TO GET THERE
Piazza San Salvatore is located about 1 kilometer away from the Lucca railway station. The closest bus stop is right in the square, San Salvatore, on the bus Line LAM Verde.