Tag: Andrea Tirali in Venice

  •   Favorite

    Piazza San Marco

    Piazza San Marco, known in English as the St. Mark’s Square, is so famous that it does not need another presentation. A collection of religious, cultural, historical symbols, and a symbol in itself, this square is the dream of millions of tourists who are preparing to travel. Whoever you ask about Venice, or even better about the most important place in Venice, that person would give you one answer: Piazza San Marco.   SHORT HISTORY During the 9th century, Piazza San Marco was just a small free area in front of the St. Mark’s Basilica. It was enlarged to the present form only in 1177, when the two canals that crossed it were filled. This change was made with the occasion of the visit of Pope Alexander III and Roman Emperor Frederick I Barbarossa, who met in Venice to sign a truce. The square was paved for the first time in the second part of the 12th century, and the pavement was changed only six centuries later, in 1723. The design was the work of the architect Andrea Tirali. The pavement was restored in 1890, keeping the model used by Tirali. In 1797, Venice was under French occupation, and the Read more [...]

  • Favorite

    Palazzo Pisani Moretta

    Palazzo Pisani Moretta is a Gothic palace in Venice, located in the San Polo district (sestiere), overlooking the Grand Canal between Palazzo Barbarigo della Terrazza and Palazzo Tiepolo.   SHORT HISTORY OF PALAZZO PISANI MORETTA Palazzo Pisani Moretta was built in the second half of the 15th century by the Bembo family. In 1629, the palace became the residence of a branch of the noble Pisani family, the Pisani Morettas, whose name derives from the mispronunciation of Almorò Pisani, founder of the family. Later, the palace was owned by Francesco Pisani Moretta, the last male descendant of the family. In 1737, the building passed to the daughter of Francesco, Chiara, who married a member of the Pisani dal Banco family. Chiara restructured the building by demolishing the external staircase and replacing it with the grand staircase by Andrea Tirali, and had the internal rooms frescoed by the most popular painters of her era. Chiara’s son, Vettor, secretly married the bourgeois Teresa Dalla Vedova and had a son with her, named Pietro, not recognized by his father. Vettor also had a second wife and a second daughter, who married Filippo Barbarigo. As the two lived in adjacent residences, the palaces were Read more [...]

  • Favorite

    Palazzo Emo Diedo

    Palazzo Emo Diedo is a Neoclassical palace in Venice, located in the Santa Croce district (sestiere), overlooking the Grand Canal, not far from the Church of San Simeone Piccolo.   SHORT HISTORY Palazzo Emo Diedo was built towards the end of the 17th century. The palace is an unfinished project by the architect Andrea Tirali. Built for the Emo family, the palace passed later to the Diedo family, hence the name. Today, Palazzo Emo Diedo belongs to the Congregation of the Sisters of Charity of Saints Bartolomea Capitanio and Vincenza Gerosa, and is in excellent condition.   ARCHITECTURE The Neoclassical facade consists of a ground floor, a noble floor (piano nobile) and an attic, for a total of three floors and twenty openings. On the ground floor, the portal is flanked by two quadrangular windows, inside a rusticated surface surmounted by a balustrade. The balustrade corresponds to a balcony with a round three-light window surmounted by a large tympanum. The rest of the facade is simple and without decorations.   HOW TO GET THERE On foot, Palazzo Emo Diedo is located about 300 meters away from the Santa Lucia railway station. The closest vaporetto stop is Piazzale Roma, about 250 Read more [...]

  • Favorite

    Palazzo Morosini Sagredo

    Palazzo Morosini Sagredo, also known as Ca’ Sagredo in the Venetian dialect, is a palace in Venice, located in the sestiere of Cannaregio, overlooking the Grand Canal, between Palazzetto Foscari and Palazzo Giustinian Pesaro.   SHORT HISTORY The palace was built starting with 1382, at the behest of the Morosini family, in particular at the will of Michele Morosini, doge of Venice for a few months. At the beginning of the 18th century, the building was purchased by Gerardo Sagredo, relative of the more famous Nicolò Sagredo, the 105th doge of Venice. Under the new ownership, the building was restored by the architect Andrea Tirali, who built the monumental staircase and had the attic decorated with stucco. The architect Tommaso Temanza also worked on the project. In 1913, the palace was sold by the Sagredo family, and later was restored to its former glory by the Superintendency of Fine Arts in Venice, being declared a National Monument. Today, Ca’ Sagredo is a 5-star hotel which features an impressive art collection. The hotel has 42 rooms and suites sumptuously decorated, and public areas which display masterpieces by famous Venetian artists of the past.   ART AND ARCHITECTURE The facade of the Read more [...]