The Church of the Holy Spirit (Chiesa dello Spirito Santo) is a beautiful church located on the seafront of the Ortygia island, in Syracuse.
The church was built in 1727, during the Spanish domination of Sicily, by the architect Pompeo Picherali. The church stands on the site of the ancient First Church of Syracuse, built in the 4th century by the Bishop Germano and affected by the earthquakes of 1542 and 1693.
The facade of the church, built in Baroque style, has three orders separated by scrolls and marked by pilasters, surmounted by a three-mullioned window. The whole facade from white limestone is a continuous play of shapes, rich in decorations, with Corinthian elements. The church is the only one in Syracuse with an external dome. The dome has a diameter of 8 meters and is also in Baroque style
The interior of the church has a Latin cross plan with three aisles. The vaults are decorated with frescoes and stucco.
Unfortunately, today, the church is in poor condition, due to the numerous water infiltrations from the roof. The majestic pipe organ is in complete abandon and the stuccos and frescoes on the roof are falling, along with some parts of the internal and external cornices.
There is, however, hope. The Church of the Holy Spirit, owned by the Archconfraternity of the Holy Spirit, is undergoing restoration supported by the Municipality of Syracuse. Funds are not enough for a complete restoration, but the church will be consolidated for the most part.
HOW TO GET THERE
The Church of the Holy Spirit is located about 2.2 kilometers away from the Syracuse train station, or about 30 minutes on foot, and about 300 meters from the Castello Maniace. If you prefer to get to the church on foot, from anywhere in the city, use the map below.