All Places in Naples

  •   Favorite

    Castel dell’Ovo

    Castel dell’Ovo is the oldest castle in Naples and is one of the constructions that stand out the most when you approach the city from the sea. Its name derives from an ancient legend about the Latin poet Virgil, who hid an egg in the foundation of the fortress, saying that its breaking would have caused not only the collapse of the castle, but also a series of disastrous catastrophes to the city of Naples. During the 14th century, the castle suffered extensive damage due to the partial collapse of an arch and, to prevent the panic spreading among the population for the alleged future catastrophes that would have hit the city, the queen Giovanna I had to swear she had replaced the broken egg.   SHORT HISTORY In a document dating back to 1128, a fortification is mentioned on the island of Megaride, now a peninsula, the place where the Castel dell’Ovo will be built later. In 1140, Roger the Norman, conquering Naples, settled in this fortress. Castel dell’Ovo is further fortified in 1222 by Frederick II, who makes it the seat of the royal treasure and has other towers built, the castle becoming a palace and a state Read more [...]

  •   Favorite

    Piazza del Plebiscito

    Piazza del Plebiscito, formerly known as Largo di Palazzo, is a beautiful large square in Naples, with an area of about 25,000 square meters, bordered at one end by the Palazzo Reale (Royal Palace) and at the other by the Basilica of San Francesco di Paola.   SHORT HISTORY At the beginning of the 17th century, the Palazzo Reale was built by the architect Domenico Fontana, who turned the palace facade towards an open space, which will be known as Largo di Palazzo. The space became the vital center of the city and, at the same time, a very important public representation area. When the viceroy settled in the Royal Palace, the square did not have an adequate conformation, and the side of Largo facing the sea was embellished with various sculptural elements, including a majestic three-arched fountain designed by Pietro Bernini and Michelangelo Naccherino, and a colossal bust of Jupiter found in Pozzuoli, named Gigante di Palazzo. At the end of the 18th century, Palazzo Salerno was built on a project by Francesco Sicuro for Ferdinand IV of Naples, changing somehow the appearance of the square. Only at the beginning of the 19th century, during the Napoleonic period, the Read more [...]

  • Favorite

    Tramontano

    Since 1865, Tramontano designs and produces bags and leather accessories in Naples. Its distinctive style and continuous quest for excellence make Tramontano’s products unique and inimitable, sought after by many customers around the world. The evolution of the brand is like a long journey in the production of bags, suitcases and luxury accessories that winds through time, tracing a path of craftsmanship, quality and style. Tramontano is a brand that is constantly evolving, that has managed to balance the historical values of tradition with contemporaneity, creating a bridge between past and present. All the models in their various collections are planned and designed in-house, inspired by the company’s history, but skillfully produced with a flair for innovation and a balanced mix of elegance and practicality.   HOW TO GET THERE Tramontano has two stores in Naples – one in Via Chiaia, 143, and the other in Via A. Scarlatti, 174. To reach the store in Via Chiaia, you can take the bus E6 and get off at the station Piazza Dei Martiri, about 170 meters away.

  • Favorite

    Koi

    Koi is a Japanese restaurant located in the heart of Naples, offering a cultural journey through the oriental culinary tradition. The philosophy of Koi is simple: to conquer lovers of this cuisine with an All You Can Eat Menu available every day for only 15€ for lunch and 23€ for dinner, without reducing the quality of the products. An à la carte menu with a wide selection of specialities is also available.   HOW TO GET THERE The restaurant is located in Via Monteoliveto, 35. The closest Metro station is Toledo, on Line L1, about 350 meters away. The closest bus station is Guglielmo Sanfelice, on the Line 460, 150 meters away. Use the map below to find the restaurant in no time.

  • Favorite

    La Scarabattola

    La Scarabattola is a workshop and, at the same time, an art gallery in Naples, born in the second half of the nineties, from the ideas of brothers Salvatore and Emanuele Scuotto, graduates of the Accademia di Belle Arti di Napoli, and Raffaele, the group manager. Craftsmen, artists, promoters of culture, the Scuotto brothers use ideas and aspects of the cultural folklore of Naples, reflecting on the nature of things, the emotional and functional narrative of art objects, as a possible means of communication, and a resistance to certain forms of cultural conformity. Their art is recognized in Italy and also abroad, thanks to the production of notable exhibitions.   HOW TO GET THERE The closest subway station is Museo, on the Metro Line 1, at about 750 meters away. The nearest bus station is Conte Di Ruvo, on the bus routes 139, 168, 178, 182, 584 and C63, at about 550 meters away from the shop. If you plan to find it on foot, use the map below.

  • Favorite

    Bella Napoli Hostel

    Bella Napoli is a nice hostel in the historical center of Naples, 40 meters away from the Naples Cathedral. The hostel is located at the 7th floor of a historic palace, that is overlooking the sea and has a wonderful view on the Gulf of Naples. It can host up to 24 guests in five rooms. Bella Napoli offers a self-catering apartment with balconies. This apartment includes a flat-screen TV, a DVD player and a private bathroom. The kitchen is fully equipped and features a microwave and a dishwasher. Free Wi-Fi is available in all areas. Bella Napoli Hostel is the ideal place for groups, families and young people. The courtesy of the staff, the new and beautiful furniture, the cleanliness of the rooms are the strengths of this hostel.   HOW TO GET THERE Bella Napoli is 300 meters away or a 4 minute walk from the Municipio subway station, about 80 meters from the tram station Colombo-Porto, on Lines 1 and 4, and about 100 meters from the Colombo-Beverello bus station, on Lines 151, 151BR and 154.

  • Favorite

    Grand Hotel Parker’s

    Grand Hotel Parker’s is a five-star hotel in Naples, that offers extremely luxurious accommodation in the residential Corso Vittorio Emanuele. With the precious furnishings, the elegance of marble and glass, and the spectacular roof garden, Grand Hotel Parker’s offers a unique experience starting from the morning breakfast. The hotel matches the elegance of its fashionable district. Rooms are spacious and air-conditioned, each offering a balcony, and some having a sea view. The hotel has a bar and a cigar room, and a great restaurant on the top floor, George Restaurant, that serves the finest Mediterranean cuisine.   HOW TO GET THERE The nearest bus station is C. V. Emanuele II – V. Tasso, about 30 meters away from the hotel. Piazza Amedeo Railway Station is about 550 meters away, on the train Line 2.

  • Favorite

    Hotel Toledo

    Hotel Toledo is a three star hotel in Naples, located about 800 meters away from Piazza del Plebiscito and 1,2 kilometers away from the harbour, with a great view of the Sant’Elmo Fortress. Set on the outskirts of the Spanish Quarter, a few steps from the famous Via Toledo, with its elegant shops, Hotel Toledo allows you to stay right in the heart of old Naples. Although the 3-storey building dates back to 1725, inside you can enjoy modern amenities. A free internet point is available at reception and comfortable rooms come with Wi-Fi access and satellite television. Enjoy an Italian breakfast on the rooftop terrace, full of plants and flowers, and with plenty of space for you to sit and enjoy the sun.   HOW TO GET THERE Hotel Toledo is situated only 150 meters away from the Toledo subway station, on the Metro Line 1. If you need a map to find it, use the one below.

  • Favorite

    Gay-Odin

    Gay-Odin is a chain of eleven stores, nine in Naples and one in Rome and Milan, that offers wonderful handmade chocolate products.   SHORT HISTORY The history of Gay-Odin, the famous Neapolitan chocolate shop, starts at the end of the 19th century, when the twenty-three year old Isidoro Odin, young chocolatier from Alba, embarks on his journey to Naples. Here, the combinations of flavors made by the young alchemist will seduce customers so much that, to satisfy everyone, Isidoro will open two other locations, the first in Via Toledo and then, in 1922, the factory in Via Vetriera, 12. Shortly, Gay-Odin has become a must, and the aromas created by Isidoro are officially part of the flavors of the Neapolitan tradition. In the sixties, Isidoro Odin and his wife Onorina Gay transfer their method to the Castaldi-Maglietta family. Both the choice of ingredients and the processing method remain the same, and Isidoro continues to manage the factory, supported by Nino and Giulio Castaldi. From the workshop of Via Chiaia, to the Chocolate Factory and to the online sale of artisan chocolate, Gay-Odin offers everyone the opportunity to be tempted by the artisan creations of their Maître Chocolatier.   HOW TO Read more [...]

  • Favorite

    Gran Caffè Gambrinus

    Gran Caffè Gambrinus is a historic coffee house in Naples, located in Via Chiaia, near the Piazza del Plebiscito. In the Gran Caffè Gambrinus’ art nouveau halls, the espresso coffee is brewed according to the old neapolitan recipe: dark, dense and hot. In recent years, the café has been enriched with tasty variations to the traditional espresso coffee: cream, chocolate, hazelnut and many other ingredients are combined with care and creativity to offer its guests an unforgettable taste experience. The Gran Caffè Gambrinus offers a vast assortment of typical neapolitan pastries and refined creations of chocolate, entirely homemade. Also, its laboratories are specialized in the production of ice cream.   HOW TO GET THERE Gran Caffè Gambrinus is situated in the north corner of Piazza del Plebiscito. The closest bus station is Trieste E Trento, about 50 meters away, on the bus line E6, while the nearest subway station is Municipio, on the Metro Line 1, at about 500 meters away.

  • Favorite

    Le Officine Bistrot

    Le Officine Bistrot is a restaurant with Mediterranean cuisine, located in Via Andrea d’Isernia 6, in Naples. The restaurant welcomes you in two well lit rooms, minimal and colorful decorated. The service is quite polite and the atmosphere is pleasant. In this elegant and refined setting, Le Officine Bistrot offers its guests a fresh cuisine, linked to tradition, but with surprising touches of new. Here, you can find raw and warm starters, fresh fish, seafood, good wine and delicious desserts.   HOW TO GET THERE The closest bus station is Crispi-Arco Mirelli, at about 130 meters from the restaurant, on the bus line 627. If you would like to find it on foot, use the map below.

  • Favorite

    Basilica of San Francesco di Paola

    Basilica of San Francesco di Paola is an impressive church in Piazza del Plebiscito, in Naples, one of the most important examples of neoclassical architecture in Italy.   SHORT HISTORY Joachim Murat, Napoleon’s brother-in-law through marriage to his younger sister, Caroline Bonaparte, and King of Naples from 1808 to 1815, started a project of urban renewal of the city during his reign. This affected the suburban area, which later became Piazza del Plebiscito, home to numerous convents and gardens, as well as a place frequented by criminals. The French general ordered the demolition of the buildings and the construction of a square that was supposed to take the name of Foro Gioacchino. The works began in 1809, but were never completed due to the ousting of Joachim Murat from Naples and the restoration of the Bourbon crown. Back to the throne, Ferdinand I of the Two Sicilies decided to build a church in the square, and the competition was won by the architect Pietro Bianchi, who had partly rediscovered the old project of Murat. Domenico Barbaia became responsible for building the church and the first stone was laid on 17 June 1816. The facade was finished in 1824, the interior Read more [...]