The Port of Ischia is a completely natural harbor on Ischia, located in the northern part of the island.
In ancient times, the port was actually a lake known as the Lago del Borgo. The lake was formed probably in the 4th or 3rd century BC in the crater of a volcano, which later collapsed due to an earthquake.
The lake was over two meters deep, measured about 100,000 square meters and contained an inhabited small island called Tondo.
In 1670, a small opening was created to fill the lake with water every time its level dropped. On the southern hill, near the lake, a casino was built in 1735 by Francesco Buonocore, which was at the same time a holiday home for himself and a luxury clinic for famous people.
The place exerted an irresistible attraction for Ferdinand IV, King of the Two Sicilies, who dedicated himself to frequent fishing parties on the lake. The enthusiasm for the place led him to rent the casino, some neighboring lands and the lake, owned at that time by the University of Ischia.
Ferdinand II, King of the Two Sicilies between 1830 and 1859, expressed his opinion in favor of opening the lake to the sea and transforming it into a harbour. D. Luigi Oberty, Inspector of Bridges and Roads, presented the project for the construction of the port and the King approved it on July 19, 1853.
The work began right after that, directed by Cavalier Camillo Quaranta, and was completed on July 31, 1854, when the first boat entered the former lake. On September 17, 1854, the port was officially inaugurated in a solemn ceremony, in the presence of Ferdinand II.
HOW TO GET THERE
The port is well connected by bus with other places on Ischia. The bus Lines that reach the port are CS, CD, 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 15, C12 and C13.