The church was built in 1700 by the Brotherhood of Santa Maria di Porto Salvo, in the beautiful Chianalea district.
The church was damaged by the cataclysms of 1783 and 1908, but it was not completely destroyed. Each time, it was rebuilt at the expense of the inhabitants of the neighborhood.
ART AND ARCHITECTURE
The church, with a rectangular plan and a single nave, is a beautiful example of the 18th-century architecture, for its harmonious and delicate style, both on the outside and inside.
The facade, of a dirty white color, has four pilasters with a very high base, surmounted by a triangular body with a cross at the top. In the center of the frontispiece, there is a circular tondo representing Maria Santissima di Porto Salvo.
Between the external and internal pilasters, there are two cornices with a rectangular shape and concave corners, while between the two central pilasters is the wooden portal from the 18th-century, divided into six squares surrounded by frames.
Inside, there were five altars, all in white marble, dedicated to as many saints – Santa Lucia, Sant’Andrea, San Camillo, Holy Cross and Madonna di Porto Salvo. Today, only two remained, the one dedicated to Saint Lucia Virgin and Martyr and the one dedicated to the Holy Cross.
In the concave apse, on the main altar in white marble, there is placed the large canvas depicting Santa Maria di Porto Salvo, flanked by the Saints Cosma and Damiano.
HOW TO GET THERE
The Church of Santa Maria di Porto Salvo is located about 750 meters away from the Scilla railway station, or about 12 minutes on foot. To find it easily, use the map below.
Find a place to stay