Palazzo del Sedile (Palace of the Seat) is an ancient building located in the square with the same name, in Matera.
Palazzo del Sedile was built in 1540 by the Archbishop Saraceno and was used since then as the seat of the Municipality of Matera. The current structure is due to the expansion and renovation works carried out since 1759.
The offices of the municipal administration were housed here until 1944, and then moved to the former Monastery of Santa Lucia, in Via Luigi la Vista. Since 1982, the offices are located in the current and modern Town Hall, located in Via Aldo Moro.
In the last decades, the palace changed its use, becoming the main venue of the National Conservatory of Music dedicated to the composer Egidio Romualdo Duni. The underground levels of the building host since the early 80s a modern Auditorium with a capacity of about 450 seats.
ART AND ARCHITECTURE
The facade is characterized by a large entrance arch flanked symmetrically by two bell towers, one with a sundial and the other with a clock.
The facade is adorned with six statues: two above the arch, in a central position, representing the patrons of the city – Sant’Eustachio on the left and the Madonna della Bruna on the right, while in the niches are found the four cardinal virtues – justice, strenght, temperance and prudence.
In the entrance hall of the palace, on the right, there is a fresco with King Charles III on horseback, painted after 1753. On the vault, there are contemporary paintings celebrating the beauties of the Kingdom of Naples.
HOW TO GET THERE
Palazzo del Sedile is located in Piazza del Sedile, about 600 meters away from the Matera Centrale railway station, or about 8 minutes on foot. To find it easily, use the map below.