All Places in Riomaggiore

  • Favorite

    The Sunset Line

    The Sunset Line is a guesthouse in Riomaggiore, located in Via Tracastello, 23, not far from the Castle of Riomaggiore. The guesthouse offers rooms with air conditioning, a desk, a kettle, a fridge, a minibar, a safety deposit box, a flat-screen TV, a terrace and a private bathroom with a hot tub. All the rooms come with bed linen and towels. Free WiFi is available throughout the property, and private parking can be arranged at an extra charge.   HOW TO GET THERE The Sunset Line is located about 550 meters away from the Riomaggiore railway station. The closest bus stop, Riomaggiore Castello, is located about 50 meters away.

  • Favorite

    Alla Marina Affittacamere

    Alla Marina Affittacamere is a guesthouse in Riomaggiore, located in Via San Giacomo, 61, near the old port of the town. Alla Marina Affittacamere is set in a 13th-century building renovated in 2011. The rooms, with white contemporary furniture and parquet floors, come with an LCD TV, a minibar and free WiFi. Each room has a private bathroom complete with a hairdryer. The breakfast is served at a partner bar nearby.   HOW TO GET THERE Alla Marina Affittacamere is located about 250 meters away from the Riomaggiore railway station.

  • Favorite

    Hotel Villa Argentina

    Hotel Villa Argentina is a 3-Star hotel in Riomaggiore, located in Via De Gasperi, 170. The hotel offers rooms with a satellite flat-screen TV, a private bathroom and air conditioning. Some rooms have a small terrace overlooking the sea. The breakfast at Villa Argentina is buffet style, and can also be served in your room.   HOW TO GET THERE Hotel Villa Argentina is located about 600 meters away from the Riomaggiore railway station. The closest bus stop is Riomaggiore Park, located about 80 meters away.

  • Favorite

    Oratory of Santa Maria Assunta

    The Oratory of Santa Maria Assunta is a Catholic place of worship in Riomaggiore, located in Via Santuario.   SHORT HISTORY The oratory, the seat of the Confraternity of the Disciplinanti dell’Assunta, was built during the 16th century.   ART The oratory preserves a wooden statue of the Madonna delle Catene (Madonna of the Chains), in memory of the inhabitants who, over the centuries, suffered raids and kidnappings in the Saracen raids, and a tempera triptych depicting the Madonna with Child and Saints John the Baptist and Dominic.   HOW TO GET THERE The Oratory of Santa Maria Assunta is located about 800 meters away from the Riomaggiore railway station. The closest bus stop is Riomaggiore Park, located about 70 meters away, on the local bus line.

  • Favorite

    Castello di Riomaggiore

    Castello di Riomaggiore is a castle located in the upper part of the historical center of Riomaggiore. The castle, with a quadrangular structure and two stubby circular towers, was used originally for defensive purposes, and later converted into a cemetery. Today, the castle is used by the municipality as a conference hall and cultural center.   SHORT HISTORY According to historical sources, the castle was built by the Turcotti Marquises in 1260, lords of the village of Ripalta, near Borghetto di Vara, on the ruins of a pre-existing fortress. After the domination of the Count Nicolò Fieschi, a new castle, located on the hill that divides the valley of Rio Maggiore from that of Rio Finale, was finally completed by the Republic of Genoa between the 15th and 16th centuries. During the French domination of Napoleon Bonaparte, the internal area of the fort was filled with earth and destined for the burial of the deceased locals. At the end of the 20th century, the whole complex underwent a general recovery, being converted into a cultural center.   HOW TO GET THERE The Castle of Riomaggiore is located about 450 meters away from the Riomaggiore railway station, or about 10 minutes on Read more [...]

  • Favorite

    Oratory of San Rocco and San Sebastiano

    The Oratory of San Rocco and San Sebastiano (Oratory of Saint Roch and Saint Sebastian) is a small place of worship located in the beautiful seaside village of Riomaggiore. The oratory is built in a panoramic position next to the Castle of Riomaggiore, on the ridge that separates the Rio Maggiore valley, where the village rises.   SHORT HISTORY According to some people, the Oratory of San Rocco was built in 1480 as a sign of gratitude for the end of the plague that killed almost half the population of the village. According to others, the oratory was built almost a century later.   ART AND ARCHITECTURE The small building, with very simple architectural forms, is preceded by a portico. The interior, consisting of a single room covered by a lowered barrel vault and decorated with devotional frescoes, takes light from small windows splayed in the thickness of the walls. On the Baroque altar there is a triptych with the Virgin and Child between Saint Roch and Saint Sebastian.   HOW TO GET THERE The Oratory of San Rocco is located about 450 meters away from the Riomaggiore railway station, or about 8-10 minutes on foot. Depending on the route Read more [...]

  • Favorite

    Church of San Giovanni Battista

    The Church of San Giovanni Battista is a Catholic church located in the upper part of the historical center of Riomaggiore, in Via Pecunia, 47.   SHORT HISTORY The church was built in Romanesque style in 1340, as stated by a plaque on the facade, at the behest of the bishop of the diocese of Luni, Antonio Fieschi. Due to a collapse of the church, an important restoration was carried out between 1870 and 1871. The extension of the complex and the reconstruction of the facade in Neo-Gothic style preserved, however, the 14th-century rose window in white Carrara marble.   ART AND ARCHITECTURE On the right side of the church, there are still visible today the single-lancet windows and the two entrances in Gothic style decorated with zoomorphic and anthropomorphic elements dated back to the Romanesque period. The interior has a basilica plan and is divided into three naves, with ogival arches. The presbytery and the two end chapels, all closed by a balustrade with statues, have a late Baroque appearance. Behind the main altar, adorned with two 18th-century statues, there is a beautiful wooden choir. Two other marble altars are on the sides. The one on the right is Read more [...]