All Castles in Monopoli

  • Favorite

    Castle of Charles V

    The Castle of Charles V is a 16th century fortress in Monopoli, built during the Spanish domination of the city. The castle is located in the historical center of the city, on a promontory called Punta Pinna, near the Old Port of Monopoli.   SHORT HISTORY The castle was built in the first half of the 16th century by the Emperor Charles V, as part of the coastal fortification system of the area. The works were carried out under the supervision of the Viceroy Don Pedro of Toledo or, according to other versions, under the Marquis Don Ferrante Loffredo, and were finished in 1552. In 1600, the fortress was enlarged and restructured, both on the outside and inside, transforming the castle from a purely defensive structure to a residential one. In the first half of the 19th century, the castle became a prison, which was abolished only in 1969. After it was abandoned for some time, the castle was consolidated in the 1990s and is now used as a venue for important cultural events, such as painting and photography exhibitions.   ARCHITECTURE The plan of the castle is enriched by pentagonal bastions. The main entrance is found to the south, Read more [...]