Boutique Exclusive B&B is a 4-Star hotel in Trento, located in Via Rodolfo Belenzani, about 20 meters away from Piazza del Duomo and the Cathedral of San Vigilio. Boutique Exclusive B&B offers uniquely decorated rooms with satellite TV, air conditioning, and a mini-bar. Free WiFi is available throughout the property. A sweet and savory breakfast is provided daily, including croissants, cold cuts and hard boiled eggs. HOW TO GET THERE Boutique Exclusive B&B is located about 600 meters away from the Trento railway station. The closest bus stop, Rosmini Santa Maria Maggiore, is located about 350 meters away, on the bus Lines 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 5/, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13 and 14.
Hotel Buonconsiglio is a 4-Star hotel in Trento, located in Via Gian Domenico Romagnosi, about 700 meters away from Piazza del Duomo and the Cathedral of San Vigilio. The rooms at Hotel Buonconsiglio are large and soundproofed, with air-conditioning, a mini-bar, and a flat-screen TV. Free WiFi is available throughout the property. A rich, fresh buffet breakfast is served every morning between 7 and 10 am in the breakfast room, located on the ground floor. The hotel’s bar offers an excellent cafeteria service, together with delicious cocktails and light meals until 8.00 pm. HOW TO GET THERE Hotel Buonconsiglio is located about 350 meters away from the Trento railway station. The closest bus stop, Romagnosi Vannetti, is located across the street from the hotel, on the bus Lines 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 17.
Grand Hotel Trento is a 4-Star hotel in Trento, located in Piazza Dante, about 400 meters away from Piazza del Duomo and the Cathedral of San Vigilio. The hotel’s rooms are soundproofed and come with wooden furniture, soft carpeted floors and a flat-screen TV with satellite channels. The Bernardo Clesio gourmet restaurant serves the finest local cuisine with an excellent selection of Italian wines. With its frescoed walls, Il Caminetto bar offers a relaxing atmosphere to enjoy a coffee, brandy or cocktail. HOW TO GET THERE Grand Hotel Trento is located about 250 meters away from the Trento railway station. The closest bus stop, Piazza Dante Palazzo Regione, is located about 80 meters away, on the bus Lines 2, 3, 4, 7 and 14.
Palazzo Trautmannsdorf, also known as Palazzo Salvadori, is a Renaissance-style palace in Trento, overlooking Piazza Raffaello Sanzio, between Via del Suffragio and Piazza della Mostra, not far from Castello del Buonconsiglio. SHORT HISTORY The structure was built at the beginning of the 16th century, and it belonged to the noble Particella family. During the first phase of the Council of Trent, the palace hosted Cardinal Pedro Pacheco, head of the Spanish Delegation. In the 17th century, Palazzo Trautmannsdorf was aquired by the Tyrolean counts of Trautmannsdorf. The current appearance of the palace dates back to the same century, when its facades were embellished with imposing portals, and its internal spaces were reorganised around an inner courtyard with vaulted corridors. After the Trautmannsdorf counts, the palace passed to the Salvadori barons. Today, the building is the seat of the Trentino Wine Institute (Istituto Tutela Grappa del Trentino). ARCHITECTURE Palazzo Trautmannsdorf is a typical example of a Renaissance-style palace in Trento. Its facades feature distinctive decorations, including the grotesque large masks embellishing its windows, and the octagonal oeil-de-boeuf windows on the top floor. HOW TO GET THERE Palazzo Trautmannsdorf is located about 550 meters away from the Trento railway Read more [...]
The Church of San Francesco Saverio is a Baroque church in Trento, located in Via Roma, about 300 meters away from Piazza del Duomo and the Cathedral of San Vigilio. SHORT HISTORY The church was built by the Society of Jesus (Compagnia di Gesù) between 1708 and 1711. The structure incorporated previous buildings, such as Palazzo delle Costede, of which the remains are still visible on the left side of the main facade, and a medieval tower. After the suppression of the Society of Jesus in 1773, the church was left in a state of neglect, until the French troops of Napoleon Bonaparte transformed it into a powder magazine. The church underwent a first restoration in 1895, long after the rehabilitation of the order. The work was commissioned to Hans Rabensteiner. ART AND ARCHITECTURE The facade is characterised by a large arched window, on the sides of which, separated by two orders of pilasters in red marble, are the statues of the Jesuit Saints Francis Borgia (bottom left), Francis Regis (top left), Aloysius Gonzaga (top right), Ignatius of Loyola (bottom right) and Saint Francis Xavier (on the main portal’s tympanum). The church has a rectangular plan with a Read more [...]
The Cathedral of San Vigilio is the Cathedral of Trento, located in Piazza del Duomo, adjacent to Palazzo Pretorio. The church is dedicated to Saint Vigilius, the first bishop of Trento and the patron saint of the town. SHORT HISTORY The Cathedral was built over the remains of a 4th-century Christian Basilica dedicated to San Vigilio, where the Saint was buried at the beginning of the 5th century. In the 11th century, the prince-bishop Uldaric II began the rebuilding of the Cathedral, completed at the beginning of the 12th century by the bishop Altemanno. At the beginning of the 13th century, the bishop Federico Vanga decided to completely rebuild the Cathedral in Romanesque style, and commissioned the master builder Adamo d’Arogno with the construction of the church. The construction began in 1212, but the works were stopped in 1218, on Vanga’s death. In 1236, Adamo d’Arogno died, and the works were continued by his son, Enrico di Fono d’Arogno. Between 1305 and 1307, Egidio da Campione directed the works by creating the southern side of the Cathedral and the lower part of the bell towers. In 1321, Egidio’s son, Bonino da Campione, built the rose window on the main Read more [...]
Castello del Buonconsiglio is a magnificent castle in Trento, the most important monumental complex of the Trentino-Alto Adige region. The castle was the residence of the prince-bishops of Trento between the 13th century and the end of the 18th century, and gathers a series of buildings from different periods, enclosed within a walled area, in an elevated position. SHORT HISTORY The castle was built in the 13th century on the site of a Roman castrum (fort). At the beginning, it was named the Malconsey Castle, after the hill it was built on. In the 14th century, the name of the castle became Buonconsiglio (Good Advice). The oldest part of the castle is represented by the 13th-century nucleus of Castelvecchio (rebuilt later, in 1440) and the large circular Tower of Augustus (Torre d’Augusto). Between the end of the 14th century and the beginning of the 15th century, the structure was profoundly modified by the prince-bishops George of Liechtenstein and John IV Hinderbach. In 1500, Cardinal Bernardo Clesio, engaged in a project of restructuring and urban redevelopment of the town, built Magno Palazzo, a Renaissance building to the south of the complex, the new residence of the bishops. Near the end Read more [...]
Torre Vanga is a medieval tower in Trento, located on the outskirts of the historical center of the town, about 350 meters away from Piazza del Duomo and the Cathedral of San Vigilio. SHORT HISTORY Torre Vanga was built on a pre-existing fortification by the prince-bishop Federico Vanga, in the first years of his episcopate (1209-1218). The crenellated adjacent structure, with triple lancet windows, is a later extension of the tower. A covered wooden bridge connected the structure to the opposite bank of the river, where the Abbey of San Lorenzo was located. During the revolt of 1407, the prince-bishop George of Liechtenstein was imprisoned in the tower. In the following centuries, Torre Vanga was used as a prison. The square windows date back to this period. Today, the tower is used as an exhibition venue by the MART (Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art of Trento and Roveto) and by the Superintendence for the Historical and Artistic Heritage of the Autonomous Province of Trento. Torre Vanga is also the temporary seat of the National Historical Museum of the Alpine Soldiers (Museo Storico degli Alpini). The museum introduces the visitors to the fascinating history of the elite mountain corps Read more [...]
Palazzo Pretorio, also known as Palazzo Vescovile (Episcopal Palace), is a palace in Romanesque style in Trento, located in Piazza del Duomo, adjacent to the Cathedral of San Vigilio. Palazzo Pretorio is the current seat of the Tridentine Diocesan Museum (Museo Diocesano Tridentino). SHORT HISTORY Between the 9th and 13th centuries, Palazzo Pretorio was the residence of the Tridentine bishops. In 1071, it was mentioned for the first time as the Episcopal Palace. The palace took the name of Palazzo Pretorio during the 11th century, when the Court of Justice and the Praetor established their headquarters in the building. The bishop’s residence was transferred in 1255 to the Buonconsiglio Castle by the bishop Egnone of Appiano, causing the progressive abandonment of the ancient palace. In 1533, the charitable institution Monte di Pietà was located here, at the behest of Cristoforo Madruzzo, prince-bishop of Trento. At the same time, the palace hosted the consuls of the city and the College of Doctors. The palace was restored in 1676 on the initiative of Sigismondo Alfonso Thun. The works radically changed the original Romanesque facade of the building. In the 1950s, the facade of the palace was restored again in Romanesque style. Read more [...]
Casa Cazuffi is a 16th-century palace in Trento, located in Piazza del Duomo, adjacent to Casa Rella. Casa Cazuffi and Casa Rella are two of the most important examples of frescoed palazzi in Trento. SHORT HISTORY The facade of the building facing the square is adorned with frescoes attributed to Marcello Fogolino, who painted them between 1531 and 1536. ARCHITECTURE The palace has four floors. The ground floor is preceded by a corner portico with three arches. Each of the upper floors have four arched windows. The first and the last window on the third floor are embellished by a small balcony, one in stone with small columns and the other in wrought iron. ART The frescoes of Casa Cazuffi are arranged on three bands, corresponding to the three upper floors of the building. Fogolino painted on the fresh plaster, making sure that the color was incorporated during the drying process. He made the white-gray figures with the chiaroscuro technique (the use of strong contrasts between light and dark), and for the background he used azurite, a cheap mineral which tends to disappear over time, and therefore is not suitable for frescoes. In fact, the blue background Read more [...]
The Church of Santa Maria Maggiore is a church in Trento, located about 200 meters away from Piazza del Duomo and the Cathedral of San Vigilio. SHORT HISTORY A first church was built on this site in the second half of the 5th century. The church remained in use until the 11th century, when the need for a new church appeared. The new church, smaller than the previous one, was characterised by a semicircular apse. For the construction of the church, the old one was demolished and reused as bulding material. After 1290, a third church was erected in place of the previous one, this time characterized by only two naves ending in as many symmetrical apses. In 1520, by the will of the cardinal Bernardo Clesio, one of the most important historical figures on a political and religious level of the 16th century, the current church was finally started, on a project by the architect Antonio Medaglia. On December 12, 1545, the church hosted the first solemn procession of the Council of Trent. Between 1899 and 1901, the church was restored, and the Renaissance facade was modified. After extensive archaeological excavations and restorations, the church was reopened to Read more [...]
Palazzo delle Albere (Palace of the Trees) is a Renaissance fortified palace, located in Via Roberto da Sanseverino, in Trento. SHORT HISTORY The palace was built in the 16th century, by the Madruzzo family, the prince-bishops of Trento. The year of the construction is uncertain – the palace was built either in 1530, commissioned by Giovanni Gaudenzio Madruzzo, or in 1550, at the behest of his son, Cristoforo Madruzzo. On June 7, 1551, the palace hosted Philip II of Spain, son of Charles V, accompanied by Emanuele Filiberto I of Savoy and other nobles, who arrived in Trento on the occasion of the Council of Trent. In 1658, after the death of Carlo Emanuele Madruzzo, the palace became the property of the bishopric of Trento. Soon, Palazzo delle Albere decayed. The walls were partially demolished, and part of the frescoes were destroyed. In September 1796, shortly after the occupation of Trento by Napoleon Bonaparte, the palace was sacked by the French soldiers. In November of the same year, the city was taken over by the Austrians, who used the villa as a prison and hospital. On Christmas night of the same year, the building caught fire and was seriously Read more [...]
Piazza del Duomo is the main square of Trento, located in the historical center of the town. Over time, the square was named Piazza Grande, Piazza Comune, Piazza Italiana, Piazza Vittorio Emanuele III, and Piazza Cesare Battisti. SHORT HISTORY The square appeared in medieval times, as an open area north of the Cathedral of San Vigilio. Until the 1970s, the transit of vehicles was allowed in the square, as well as parking. The area was subsequently pedestrianized. The lime tree near the Civic Tower, the only tree in the square, has a particular history. According to tradition, a first tree was planted at the beginning of the 19th century during the Napoleonic government of Trentino, inspired by the tree of freedom. At a certain point, the tree aged, and another was planted in its place. The current lime tree replaced the second tree in 1982. ARCHITECTURE The square has a quadrangular shape, and is bounded to the south by the Cathedral of San Vigilio. The Cathedral, in Romanesque style, was buit starting with the 13th century on the ruins of an ancient Christian basilica. The eastern side of the square is formed by Palazzo Pretorio, currently housing the Read more [...]