With 132 meters in length and 60 meters wide, the Basilica of San Petronio is the sixth largest church in Europe, despite being largely unfinished. Although is not the cathedral of Bologna, a title that belongs to the nearby Cathedral of San Pietro, it can be considered the main church of the city. SHORT HISTORY In the 14th century, the Bolognese aristocracy revived the cult of San Petronio, bishop of Bologna during the 5th century, and planned to build a church dedicated to him. The church was founded on 7th of June 1390, when the first stone was laid in a solemn procession. The project was given to the architect Antonio di Vicenzo, who made a design with the advice of Father Andrea Manfredi. At the beginning of the 15th century, di Vicenzo died, and the Papal Legate Baldassarre Cossa, an enemy of the Municipality of Bologna, took advantage of the architect’s death to sell the construction material that was used for the building of the church. In 1507, the architect Arduino Arriguzzi was comissioned to continue the church. Arriguzzi was sent to Florence to see and study the dome built by Brunelleschi for the Cathedral of Santa Maria Read more [...]
The Fountain of Neptune (Fontana del Nettuno) is a wonderful fountain made by Giambologna in the 16th century, located in the square dedicated to the same deity of the sea, in Bologna. The basin of the fountain stands on a base with three steps. At the center of the basin, there is a pedestal flanked by four Nereids, and on this pedestal stands the majestic figure of Neptune. SHORT HISTORY The Fountain of Neptune is, in fact, a collaborative project of Zanobio Portigiani, Tommaso Laureti and Giambologna, commissioned by the vice-minister Pier Donato Cesi to glorify the papal government of Pope Pius IV. The purpose of the fountain was to embellish the new Piazza del Nettuno, adjacent to Piazza Maggiore. The project was assigned on August 2, 1563, to the Bolognese architect Zanobio Portigiani, to the Palermitan architect Tommaso Laureti, who was delegated to execute the architectural structure of the fountain, and finally to the Flemish mannerist sculptor Giambologna (Jean Boulogne), commissioned to build the bronze statue of Neptune and the sculptural parts. The fountain was completed in 1566. In 1604, a high fence was built around the fountain, which effectively managed to prevent acts of vandalism. The fence Read more [...]
Present since 1937 in the historic center of Bologna, Ristorante Bolognese is located in an enviable position, close to major hotels, the railway station, the bus station, and a stone’s throw from the central Via Indipendenza. The restaurant, once used as a coal deposit, has a characteristic exposed stone ceiling with vaults, an architectural detail typical of old Bologna. The result is the right atmosphere, intimate and welcoming, in which to propose the typical dishes of the Emilian and Bolognese tradition. The presence of two rooms with a capacity of about 25 seats each makes it particularly suitable for business lunches, dinners or for groups. The Bolognese restaurant has an air-conditioned environment and, in summer, it also has a cozy outdoor veranda. The kitchen is directed by chef Alfredo Morisi with his twenty years of teaching in the old hotel school in Bologna and numerous experiences in the city’s historic restaurants. HOW TO GET THERE The restaurant is about 240 meters away from Bologna Centrale, the main train station of the city. The closest bus station is Stazione Centrale, about 110 meters away from the restaurant.
Situated a few steps from the Due Torri (the Two Towers), restaurant La Brace is a well-known landmark in Bologna for all lovers of good food. The dishes brought to the table are made after the traditional Bolognese recipes mixed with the flavors of Mediterranean cuisine. The menu ranges from typical dishes with home made pasta such as tagliatelle with meat sauce, tortellini in broth, to the famous Rigatoni La Brace or risotto with porcini mushrooms. Depending on the season, the dishes can be enriched with seasonal vegetables and excellent porcini mushrooms. The wide choice of fish dishes will satisfy all your requests, with freshness, variety and imagination. HOW TO GET THERE The closest bus station is Due Torri, about 110 meters away from the restaurant, on the bus lines 14, 19, 25, 27, T1 and T2. To find the restaurant on foot, use the map below.
Buca San Petronio is a restaurant located in the center of Bologna, 50 meters from Piazza Maggiore. Focused on the Italian Style, from food and wine proposals to design and background music, the restaurant welcomes you in an elegant room and a terrace located in one of the most fascinating corners of the city. The menu, rich in Mediterranean flavors, is created with high quality raw materials from the surrounding area – homemade pasta, Parmigiano Reggiano, Altedo asparagus, Parma ham… Colors, flavors, elegance and harmony: these are the basic ingredients of their creations. HOW TO GET THERE The closest bus station is Piazza Maggiore, about 120 meters away from the restaurant, on the bus lines 29, A, C and T2. To find the restaurant on foot, use the map below.
Casa Faccioli is an elegant Bed and Breakfast located in the historic center of Bologna, really close to the historic Piazza Maggiore, the Basilica of San Petronio and the other main attractions of the city. Casa Faccioli is, actually, a palace, in which the Bolognese painter Raffaele Faccioli lived and created his art. The building was redesigned in 1924 by the famous architect Edoardo Collamarini. The B & B is an excellent alternative to classic hotels. It allows you the freedom to have breakfast in your pajamas directly in the room or even on the terrace, enjoying a privileged view of the ancient towers. HOW TO GET THERE The closest bus station is Rizzoli, about 80 meters away from the B&B, on the bus lines 19, 20, 25, 27 and 62. Bologna Centrale, the main train station of the city, is about 1.5 kilometers away. To find the B&B on foot, use the map below.
Steam House Room & Breakfast offers the privacy of a guest house and the reception of a bed & breakfast in the historic center of Bologna, in a lively pedestrian street full of restaurants and characteristic places, a few steps from Piazza Maggiore, the main square of the city. The B&B has elegant and original furnishings inspired by the industrial style, which recall the adventurous times of the Victorian era. The rooms have private bathrooms with bidet, a desk and a flat-screen TV, and all the units are equipped with a coffee machine. A continental breakfast is available each morning at the property. HOW TO GET THERE Steam House is located about 1.3 kilometers from Bologna Centrale, the main train station of the city. The closest bus station is Irnerio, about 170 meters away from the property.
Hotel Internazionale is a 4-Star hotel located in a historic building in Via Indipendenza, in the heart of Bologna, within walking distance of the main attractions of the city. The ancient part of the building, on Via Indipendenza, was damaged during the Second World War and rebuilt in 1969 under the supervision of the architect Melchiorre Bega. Hotel Internazionale offers 80 double rooms, 12 single rooms, 12 superior and 12 deluxe, to satisfy every type of clientele. The hotel is equipped with a meeting room with natural light, and also offers the possibility of organizing catering services for small groups or individual customers. Free Wi-Fi is available everywhere. HOW TO GET THERE Hotel Internazionale is located about 650 meters from the Bologna Centrale, the main train station of the city. The closest bus station is Mille Indipendenza, about 80 meters away. To find the hotel on foot, use the map below.
Piazza Maggiore is the main square of Bologna and, at the same time, one of the most beautiful in Italy. The square is surrounded by the most important buildings of the medieval city, of which we can mention the Palazzo del Podestà, Palazzo Comunale, Palazzo dei Notai, Basilica of San Petronio and Palazzo dei Banchi. SHORT HISTORY Piazza Maggiore is one of the very first squares built in Italy after the fall of the Roman Empire. The square was built starting with the year 1200, when the Bolognese felt the need to have a central market and a public place for meeting. Only in the 15th century, the square received its present form, while in the 16th century the entire area was rearranged by papal will. Also, in the same century, the adjacent Piazza del Nettuno with the splendid Fountain of Neptune was built. In 1860, Piazza Maggiore was named after Vittorio Emanuele II, until 1943, when the king’s equestrian monument was transferred to the Margherita Gardens, where it is still located. From 1943 to 1945, the square was called Piazza della Repubblica, and from June 1945 took its current name. ARCHITECTURE The square measures 115 meters in Read more [...]