Tag: castle in Trento

  • Favorite

    Castello del Buonconsiglio

    Castello del Buonconsiglio is a magnificent castle in Trento, the most important monumental complex of the Trentino-Alto Adige region. The castle was the residence of the prince-bishops of Trento between the 13th century and the end of the 18th century, and gathers a series of buildings from different periods, enclosed within a walled area, in an elevated position.   SHORT HISTORY The castle was built in the 13th century on the site of a Roman castrum (fort). At the beginning, it was named the Malconsey Castle, after the hill it was built on. In the 14th century, the name of the castle became Buonconsiglio (Good Advice). The oldest part of the castle is represented by the 13th-century nucleus of Castelvecchio (rebuilt later, in 1440) and the large circular Tower of Augustus (Torre d’Augusto). Between the end of the 14th century and the beginning of the 15th century, the structure was profoundly modified by the prince-bishops George of Liechtenstein and John IV Hinderbach. In 1500, Cardinal Bernardo Clesio, engaged in a project of restructuring and urban redevelopment of the town, built Magno Palazzo, a Renaissance building to the south of the complex, the new residence of the bishops. Near the end Read more [...]