Tag: San Francesco in Reggio Emilia

  • Favorite

    Church of San Francesco

    The Church of San Francesco, also known as the Church of the Immaculate Conception and of San Francesco, is a church in Reggio Emilia, located in Piazza Martiri del 7 Luglio 1960.   SHORT HISTORY OF THE CHURCH OF SAN FRANCESCO The church was built in the second half of the 13th century on a pre-existing structure dedicated to San Luca, which served as the chapel of the imperial palace. After having undergone various interventions over the centuries, the church was rebuilt in 1725, according to the project of the architect Giovanni Maria Ferraroni. Between 1856 and 1857, the facade of the church was rebuilt in Neoclassical style by Pietro Marchelli.   ART AND ARCHITECTURE OF THE CHURCH OF SAN FRANCESCO The church has a terracotta facade surmounted by a triangular pediment supported by pilasters. Above the main portal, there is a mosaic of Saint Francis receiving the stigmata. The interior, in Baroque style, has a single nave with vaulted ceilings, a cupola and the choir.   HOW TO GET TO THE CHURCH OF SAN FRANCESCO The church is located about 1 kilometer away from the Reggio Emilia railway station. The closest bus stop is located in Via Nobili, about Read more [...]