All Places in Portofino

  •   Favorite

    Marina di Portofino

    Marina di Portofino is one of the most beautiful harbours in the world, located in one of the most famous Italian destinations, Portofino. Marina di Portofino stands in the middle of a natural promontory and extends to the main square of the town, Piazza Martiri dell’Olivetta. Marina di Portofino offers 14 mooring places for boats and superyachts, all with water and electricity, as well as 2 places for megayachts in the Cannone Bay (Baia Cannone). There are many restaurants and terraces around the harbour, where you can relax and admire the beautiful port, but in order to enjoy the view of the entire Marina di Portofino, you must climb the stairs to the Church of San Giorgio or to the Brown Castle, two structures that dominate the surroundings. From there, the view is breathtaking.   HOW TO GET THERE Portofino is very small. To reach the harbour on foot from any point in the town, it’s a matter of minutes. Of course, if you need precise directions, you can use the map below.

  •   Favorite

    Church of San Martino

    The Church of San Martino (Chiesa del Divo Martino) is a church in Romanesque style, dedicated to Saint Martin of Tours, in Portofino.   SHORT HISTORY The church was probably built during the 12th century, around the same time the Church of San Giorgio was erected. The structure is mentioned in a document of 1130, with the decision of Pope Innocent II to cede the property to the monks of the nearby Abbey of San Fruttuoso, and again in 1164, where the same privileges were confirmed by Pope Alexander III. The consecration of the church took place on June 10, 1548, and on March 8, 1550, the ownership of the religious building passed to the Prince Andrea Doria and his heirs, through a papal bull of Pope Julius III. During the 19th century, the Church of San Martino was renovated and expanded, and took its current shape.   ART Inside, there are several pictorial and sculptural works, such as the wooden group depicting the Deposition of Christ by the Genoese sculptor Anton Maria Maragliano, the canvas of the Madonna del Rosario by an unknown painter, an Annunciation of the 18th century, and a painting depicting the Saints Rocco, Sebastiano and Read more [...]

  • Favorite

    Hotel Piccolo Portofino

    Hotel Piccolo Portofino is a 4-Star boutique hotel in Portofino, located in a historic villa that now features stylish interiors, surrounded by the typical luxuriant vegetation of the Ligurian Riviera. The hotel offers 23 rooms with air conditioning, satellite and pay-per-view channels. Some rooms have a balcony or sea views. Hotel Piccolo Portofino offers a private rocky beach with a bar and guests can relax on the terraces of the hotel, enjoying wonderful panoramic views.   HOW TO GET THERE The hotel is located about 500 meters away from the center of Portofino, in a small beautiful bay. On foot, the hotel is about 8 minutes of walking from the Piazza Martiri dell’Olivetta, the main square of the town.

  • Favorite

    Belmond Splendido Mare

    Belmond Splendido Mare is a 5-Star hotel located in the main square of Portofino, Piazza Martiri dell’Olivetta, overlooking the Marina di Portofino. The hotel offers 16 rooms and suites, all with free WiFi and a satellite flat-screen TV. The guests have access to facilities of the Belmond Hotel Splendido, located about 700 meters away, like the outdoor pool, the fitness centre and also the wellness centre. The Chuflay Restaurant, located near the hotel, offers regional specialities and a selection of fine wines.   HOW TO GET THERE Belmond Splendido Mare is located right in the center of Portofino, about 50 meters away from the Marina di Portofino, 300 meters from the Church of San Giorgio and about 500 meters from Castello Brown.

  • Favorite

    Belmond Hotel Splendido

    Belmond Hotel Splendido is a 5-Star hotel in Portofino, located on a hillside overlooking the Marina di Portofino. The hotel offers 70 rooms and suites, some with panoramic views of the Gulf of Tigullio. All the rooms come with free WiFi and a satellite flat-screen TV. The guests can enjoy the outdoor pool, the fitness centre with sauna and also a wellness centre. The hotel has 3 restaurants serving traditional Ligurian cuisine. An American buffet is served daily for breakfast.   HOW TO GET THERE Belmond Hotel Splendido is about 700 meters away from the main square of Portofino. If you want to stay as close as possible to the center of the town, you can search for accommodation at the other Belmond Hotel in Portofino, Splendido Mare, located right in Piazza Martiri dell’Olivetta.

  • Favorite

    Church of San Giorgio

    The Church of San Giorgio is a small Catholic church in Portofino, located on an elevated position, enjoying a panoramic view of the Marina di Portofino. The church is dedicated to Saint George, a soldier in the Roman army and member of the Praetorian Guard for Roman emperor Diocletian, who was sentenced to death for refusing to renounce his Christian faith.   SHORT HISTORY According to a plaque located inside the church, the structure was built in Romanesque style in 1154. The church was revised and modified in 1691 and, at the same time, the road of Salita San Giorgio was widened, allowing the locals to reach the church from the main square of the village. A further restoration took place in 1760. During the Second World War, the church was completely destroyed by a bomb. The reconstruction work started after the end of the conflict, in 1950, and the church was rebuilt following the plans of 1760. Inside the church, there are the relics of Saint George, the patron saint of Portofino, brought by the sailors returning from the Crusades.   HOW TO GET THERE You can get to the Church of San Giorgio after a short climb of Read more [...]

  • Favorite

    Castello Brown

    Castello Brown, formerly known as the Castle of San Giorgio, is an ancient military fortress placed in an elevated position, that dominates the small town of Portofino. The castle is surrounded by a Mediterranean garden full of cypress trees, flowers and pergolas.   SHORT HISTORY During some excavations in the area, in the place of today’s castle were found traces of an ancient Roman watchtower dating back to the 3rd century AD. The first official information on the current structure dates back to 1425, when Tomaso Fregoso, Doge of the Republic of Genoa, occupied the village of Portofino. In the 16th century, several restoration and expansion works were carried out. Between 1554 and 1557, the castle was extended by a new platform towards the port, after a design by the engineer Giovanni Maria Olgiati. In 1624, new works strengthened the castle, and in 1728, other works were carried out, enriching the armament and arranging the interior of the fortress. The fortress passed to the French in 1797, when Napoleon Bonaparte conquered Liguria. After Napoleon left and the town was included in the Kindom of Sardinia and subsequently in the Kingdom of Italy, the military fortress was completely disarmed starting with Read more [...]