The palace takes its name from the noble Sansedoni family, one of the most powerful families of Siena during the Middle Ages.
Palazzo Sansedoni was built at the beginning of the 13th century, by joining several ancient buildings. In 1339, the architect Agostino di Giovanni oversaw the reconstruction and expansion of the palace.
The majestic brick facade of the palace facing the square dates back to an 18th-century renovation in Gothic style by the architect Ferdinando Ruggieri.
ART AND ARCHITECTURE
The concave facade of Palazzo Sansedoni, which follows the curvature of the square, is composed of four orders, three of them with trifore mullioned windows. The facade is topped by battlements above a frieze of round arches.
The tower of the palace, positioned asymmetrically to the left of the building, was truncated in 1760, because Torre del Mangia, located nearby, had to be the tallest building in the square.
Inside, various rooms have 18th-century decorations, work of Francesco Melani, Giuseppe Melani and Gian Domenico Ferretti.
Anton Domenico Gabbiani was responsible for the decoration of the ceiling of a private chapel inside the palace, dedicated to the Blessed Ambrogio Sansedoni, teacher, missionary and diplomat who lived in the 13th century.
HOW TO GET THERE
Palazzo Sansedoni is located about 1.9 kilometers away from the Siena railway station. The closest bus stop is Logge Del Papa Bibo, located about 100 meters away, in Via Banchi di Sotto, on the bus Line 590. To find the palace on foot, use the map below.