All Bridges in Pisa

  • Favorite

    Ponte di Mezzo

    Ponte di Mezzo, commonly known as the Ponte Conte Ugolino, is a bridge over the Arno river, in Pisa. The bridge connects Piazza Garibaldi, belonging to Tramontana, the northern part of the city, to Piazza XX Settembre, located south of the river, in Mezzogiorno. Every year, on the last Saturday of June, a historical reenactment event takes place on the Ponte di Mezzo, known as the Battle of the Bridge (Gioco del Ponte).   SHORT HISTORY Until the 12th century, Pisa had only one bridge, made initially of wood, which connected the two banks of the Arno river in the position where currently is the Church of Santa Cristina. In 1035, the year of the victory of Lipari, the wooden bridge was rebuilt in stone and moved further east, where currently stands the Ponte di Mezzo. The bridge was restored by the order of Pietro Gambacorta in 1388, owner of the homonymous palace. In 1635, the bridge, known at the time as Ponte Vecchio, collapsed due to a flood of the Arno. The reconstruction work took about thirty years, and the bridge was completed in 1660. In the early decades of the 20th century, Pisa’s tram network went into service, Read more [...]