The Church of San Michele was built in Baroque style at the beginning of the 17th century, close to the walls of Palazzo Duchi di Santo Stefano.
The church was heavily damaged by the bombings of 1943, during the Second World War, and despite the subsequent restoration from the 1950s, it was reopened for worship only in 2011.
The best proof that the church was built in the 17th century is the Baroque portal on the facade. The beautiful portal has the jambs and the architrave in pink Taormina marble.
Above the portal, there is a small rectangular window, surmounted by an iron cross at the top. A bell-gable with two bells is located on the left of the cross.
The church have a single nave. The ceiling features exposed wood-beam trusses. Inside the church, there is a small crypt.
HOW TO GET THERE
The Church of San Michele Arcangelo is located about 850 meters from Porta Messina, the main entrance to the historical center of the town, and about 100 meters away from Porta Catania. Located on the edge of the historical center of Taormina, which is entirely pedestrian, the church is reachable by car.
Find a place to stay