The palace was built in 1873 by Domenico Monti for Alessandro Genel, a wealthy textile merchant, and his brothers Felice and Agostino. The palace was built on the site of the 18th-century house of Pietro Antonio Rossetti.
At the beginning of the 20th century, the palace became the headquarters of the Anglo-Austrian Bank. In 1927, it was completely renovated to house the Italian Commercial Bank, and starting with 1938 it was the headquarters of the Banca Nazionale del Lavoro in Trieste.
The massive structure has a square plan and five floors.
The main facade overlooking Piazza del Ponte Rosso is characterised by a monumental central body with six columns in Ionic style, and balconies with stone balustrades. The columns support an architrave with floral decorations, and the facade is crowned by a balustrade with six vases in Neoclassical style.
The ground floor has a series of round arches with keystones on top and massive wrought iron railings, while the other floors have 11 rectangular windows enriched by stone frames.
Inside, we can find a square courtyard with a decorated glass pavilion roof. On the ground floor, the courtyard is delimited by pillars and arches, with brick vaulted ceilings.
HOW TO GET THERE
Palazzo Genel is located about 650 meters away from the Trieste Centrale railway station. The closest bus stop is in Via Roma 18, about 110 meters away, on the bus Lines 4, 5, 17, 24, 30 and 64. To find the palace on foot, use the map below.