Regata Storica (Historical Regatta) is both a historical reenactment and a sporting event taking place every year on the first Sunday of September, in Venice.
The Historical Regatta is a celebration loved by the locals and tourists alike, and the most important event of the Voga alla Veneta (Row like a Venetian) calendar.
The nature of the Venetian Lagoon encouraged rowing since the appearance of the first people in the area, who were forced to move mainly on water. It did not took long until the skills of the locals were recognized, and from here to the organization of rowing competitions it was only one step.
Every year, Regata Storica begins with an impressive procession that commemorates the triumphal reception in Venice of Catherine Cornaro, the last monarch of the Kingdom of Cyprus. She, coming from a wealthy and influential Venetian family, abdicated in 1489 in favor of Venice, being applauded upon her return.
During the celebration, boats similar to those of the 16th century navigate the Grand Canal, headed by a replica of the famous Bucintoro (Bucentaur), the festive ship of the Doges of Venice.
Seven rowing races take place on this day, structured by category, according to the age of the crew and the number of rowing men. The races usually start in the San Marco Basin, run along the Grand Canal, passing by the Ponte dell’Accademia, to finally reach the Ca’ Foscari Palace, where a floating platform called Machina marks the finish line.
REGATA STORICA 2019 will take place on Sunday, September 1, after the following schedule:
- 4.00 pm – Historical parade along the Grand Canal, with costumed crews, boats and gondolas of the Venetian rowing associations (Voga alla Veneta);
- 4.30 pm – Maciarele and Schie regatta, two-oared regatta on mascarete dedicated to children, with three categories: Maciarele senior (under 14 years), Schie (under 10 years) and Maciarele Junior (under 12 years);
- 4.50 pm – Young rowers’ twin-oared regatta;
- 5.10 pm – Six-oared caorline regatta;
- 5.40 pm – Women’s twin-oared mascarete regatta;
- 6.10 pm – Twin-oared gondolini regatta.